May 12, 2009

Cupcake has arrived!

This posting is submitted by Nana...


Collin made his debut Monday, May 11, 2009 at 8:13 pm. He weighs 7 pounds
2 ounces and is 20-3/4 inches long (a full pound bigger than Carter was).

I think he looks a lot like Carter, but his mommy thinks he looks a lot like Collin. Natalie was able to have him naturally which really pleased her. They weren't sure up to the very last moment if this would be possible as Collin kept turning and turning and turning.

I have a ton of pictures on my camera, but, unfortunately I can't find the cord to transfer them to the computer. Argh. Should have something up tomorrow (which means I'm buying a cord tonight).

My newest grandbaby is perfect...Well, perfect in his Maker's eyes. Collin was born with Amniotic Band Syndrome (wait to "Google" it until I'm finished) affecting both his hands.
Here's a description I found of what Cupcake suffers from:


The ABS occurs due to a partial rupture of the amniotic sac. This rupture involves only the amnion; the chorion remains intact. Fibrous bands of the ruptured amnion float in the amniotic fluid and can encircle and trap some part of the fetus. Later, as the fetus grows but the bands do not, the bands become constricting. This constriction reduces blood circulation, hence causes congenital abnormalities. In some cases a complete "natural" amputation of a digit(s) or limb may occur before birth or the digit(s) or limbs may be necrotic (dead) and require surgical amputation following birth.
In plain English, two of Collin's fingers (one on each hand) didn't fully develop due to this syndrome. The doctors have assured Chris and Natalie that Collin will be able to do everything just like Carter and Collin won't ever know the difference. Dr. Madden even dropped by to speak with them (he had this same syndrome which affected one hand and one foot) and had many encouraging words. Dr. Reese said she would file a referral to the Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas - a world renowned facility for hand/feet indifferences.

As a grandparent I grieve for those missing parts, I grieve knowing some little kid will one day make fun of him, I grieve for all the "well meaning" responses/stares he'll receive, I grieve for the thought that Collin would have to struggle for one second, and as a grandparent, it breaks my heart.

As a believer, though, I know that God doesn't make one single mistake. He made Collin exactly how He wanted Collin to be made. And I praise Him for this! I know that many lessons will be learned and many hearts changed because of Collin. Ironically, Psalm 139:14 is painted over Collin's crib "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Natalie picked this scripture for this sweet baby, not knowing what was in store for him - - God knew... and now each time he is placed in his crib, ALL will be reminded that Collin is fearfully and wonderfully made.

Thank you all for your prayers and please continue to keep my sweet babies in them.

Love,
Nana (aka Granna)










No comments: