June 2, 2009

"It's not that bad..."

"It's not that bad...", is that supposed to make me feel better? Of course I know the answer to that. This isn't a post to make anyone feel bad I just need to vent. I know good and well that everyone who has said this to me or Chris has meant it with the best of intentions but I have to be honest and say I HATE THIS PHRASE! It's kinda like when someone you love dies and everyone says "Well at least they are in a better place". That doesn't make you feel better because you want them here with you. That is how I feel about the saying "It's not that bad..." I know that it's not that bad compared to children with missing fingers or limbs or terrible diseases and believe me I'm so thankful for that. But it is that bad compared to children with perfectly normal hands who will never have to deal with the challenges of being a child with hand differences. When people tell me "It's not that bad..." I want to yell from the top of my lungs "HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU OR YOUR CHILD'S HANDS LOOKED THAT WAY?" It frustrated me because I don't want Collin's  ABS to be minimized. I understand why people say this. I would probably say the same thing if the tables were turned. People don't know what to say. I just hate it, you know? As a mother you feel like you should fix everything for your child. You meet every need they have. You bathe them, feed them, comfort them, and try your best to make their life as meaningful as possible. I feel guilty because I can't fix this for him. I can't protect him from every kid who will make fun of him. I can't take away every doctor's appointment the future holds. I just wish I could fix his hands. He is my precious baby boy and he deserves his hands to look as normal as possible. As a mother it kills me that I can't do this for him. To everyone who has said "It's not that bad.." please don't feel bad. I know that each and everyone of you loves us and means to be encouraging. But I think it would feel better if someone just said "This really sucks, I'm sorry!" I'm sure I will get better with dealing with the response of others but for today I just needed to vent.

7 comments:

Tiff said...

I am having deja vu reading your post. blogs were not popular when Thomas was born so I wrote stories. I have said the exact words....well mine had a missing lip...it does stink. It will not be perfect, it will never go away, you will always feel like a mother bear wanting to protect your son, you will want to (and you almost do) punch out a kid that says something about his hands, you will cry for him, you will pray for him, love him, and you will give him courage and strength to get through the tough stuff he has to endure. I promise you God gives these babies a little something extra.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So proud of how you are handling all of this... bearing your blessings as blessings! Collin and Carter sure do have a great mommy! Remember that God restores and redeems all! Love you!

Katie - a Blessed Mommy! said...

I CAN'T WAIT to get to hang out tomorrow & spend time talking with you! My heart hurts for you - sometimes you just need your friends to wrap their arms around you & say nothing at all. Oh - I have so much to tell you - will email you tonite! - Katie

Unknown said...

Natalie, Continue to bear your heart out to the Lord. I love reading the Psalms. Knowing that David was a "man after God's own heart" it always thrills me to see how honest he was before the Lord. I love to see how he shared that he was in pain or proclaimed his anger, as well as his joy. I love that as a christian we are not called to hide our humaness, but rather let Christ make us strong where we are weak. I know that God will equip you for whatever you encounter in life. Know that your sister in law is praying for you!

p.s. as someone who may have been guilty of saying "its not that bad" I want to sincerely apologize if it seemed I was trying to discount what you are going through (I can only imagine how this hurts a mother's heart). I was only trying to say that I don't look at him and think "oh what's wrong!" instead I truly see a beautiful baby boy and am drawn to his sweet face. And, I don't think this is just b/c he is my nephew, he really is adorable!

Unknown said...

You got some Sweet boys, let me tell you!!
Collin is a BIG boy.. i love them big ole' boys. had one of my own!! I love visiting your page.. you have some serious patience! lol idk if i could do this!!
Anyway i just wanted to say Hi. being mommy is so amazing, and your boys make me smile! Good job Mommy!!!

terry lynn said...

Natalie-
You are such an amazing woman, wife,friend,and mother. You have always been such a strong human being. You have had many difficult times in life and you have always come out stronger and never let it bring you down. I am so blessed to not only know you but have you as a friend. You have always looked up to me all your life and now the roles are reversed...I look up to you and hope I can be 1/2 the woman you have become. You are an amazing role model to all of us "young moms" I love you and your amazingly beautiful children, your family is so amazing and alot of it is because you are so strong and hold it together. I am so proud of you and so glad to call you my friend. I love you so much