December 7, 2008

MS or not MS? That seems to be the question!

OK, well I think it is about time to catch everyone up and get everyone on the same page. Thursday Carter and I drove to Weatherford because Friday I had a MRI scheduled to look for lesions on my neck (cervical spine). We don't know the results yet but I will see my neurologist here in Ft. Worth this coming Thursday. So in the mean time while we are waiting for the test results I thought I would give everyone an update on what has been going on. I can't even keep track anymore with who I have told what to and when!
Five years ago I had this crazy episode with my eyes that lasted a week. It was if I was looking through a kaleidoscope. It would only last a few minutes but my vision was so distorted that I couldn't even drive. Everyone thought my retina was detaching so I saw three different eye doctors and they all reassured us that nothing was wrong with my eyes. That it must be in my brain. So my primary care physician at the time ordered and MRI of the brain to make sure everything was OK. Come to find out it wasn't. There was a lesion in the corpus collasum part of the brain. If you want that in English it was a white spot that showed up in the center part of the brain that connects the two halves. He said that this location is where Multiple Sclerosis patients have lesions. So after being completely terrified my Mom made the decision to take me to a neurologist in Dallas. The next months followed with more MRIs, a spinal tap, lab work, and seeing and MS specialist as well as a neurosurgeon. They told us this is either MS or a brain tumor. Neither seemed optimistic in my 17 year old mind. So after lots of prayer and my follow up MRI just 6 weeks later showed nothing. They said they had no medical explanation for what is was or where it went. We gave all the credit to GOD and just believed that He had worked a miracle.
So what does all of that have to do with today. Well in May I started having these weird cramps and tingling in my legs. And over they next months it became extremely uncomfortable to the point I couldn't sleep. I really didn't feel to concerned about it. I thought maybe its something in my diet or I have a pinched nerve. After my Mom and HB insisting that I go to the Dr., I went to see my primary care physician. After she did her exam and spoke with my about my symptoms she assured me it wasn't restless leg syndrome and that I needed to be seen my a neurologist. I was a little shocked and some fear began to sink in. I saw a neurologist in M-town(who we will leave unnamed) who seemed to be playing the guessing game. I had an MRI of my spine and brain and both came back normal. I just assumed that that would rule out MS. After never giving us an answer we felt very insecure with his opinion and decided to seek another. We later found out that on the referral to the new Dr. he put my diagnosis as MS.
So I came to Ft. Worth to see Dr. Hughes in October. She reviewed everything and performed a neurological exam which she said was abnormal. She thought we should do all the blood work we could to narrow out everything else and do an MRI of my neck to look for lesion. All the blood work came back normal which would normally seem like a positive but I'm my case it wasn't. Because all the things she was testing for in the blood would have been the lesser or 2 evils. And if your wondering what is this whole lesion thing. They are looking for lesions on the spine or brain because that is one of the most evident ways to diagnose Multiple Sclerosis.
So there you go. HB and I are exhausted and frustrated with it all but we are trusting the Lord to see us through. Whether He will perform a healing on my body or this will be part of the Lord's way of using me for his eternal purpose we will trust in Him.
So join us in praying that this limbo process will come to a close and that we will have answers soon. I will post more after my Dr. appt on Thursday.

1 comment:

Erin said...

We're all praying for you! God Bless!